Left Hand Valley Courier - All Local, All The Time

The Story Behind the Name: Johnson Farms and Brittany Place

 

Leigh Suskin

The original Johnson Farm farmhouse stands at the northwest corner of Neva Road and Dry Creek Road.

By the middle of the 19th century, Sweden was in the throes of a national population crisis-the small country's population had doubled from 1750 to 1850, and was still growing. Tillable land became more scarce, and famine swept the nation. Emigration regulations were eased, and the 1860s saw a massive movement of Swedes fleeing their homeland; between 1861 and 1881, 150,000 traveled to the Unit...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021